SB

SB

Friday, July 29, 2016

Week 7: The Belly of Gaea and Creatures of Stone

Dear readers,

This post is dedicated to my seventh week in Alicante, though I am concluding my eighth as I write this! To keep it short and sweet, I want to talk about my favorite experience of the week. My program, Spanish Studies Abroad, went on another excursion to some nearby caves. They are called "Las Cuevas de Canelobre," or the Caves of Canelobre. Although this was the least materially extravagant excursion both in terms of money and time spent, it was probably the most breathtaking in its glorious natural splendour, its arcane beauty nestled away below the surface for few to view and enjoy. If you are wondering what "the belly of Gaea is" it is simply that which is below the surface of the earth--Gaea, of course, being the Earth goddess in Greek mythology.
      Now, to arrive at the caves, we had to take a bus up a mountain. This was our view from the top of the mountain (and yes, as you have probably observed if you've been reading this blog, I cherish an ardent love for panorama photos, sorry, not sorry):
Not too shabby, huh? 

After treating our eyes to this wondrous landscape and our stomachs to some traditional Spanish fruit juice (zumo de mango, higo, o piƱa), we set our sails inwards--by which, I mean we descended into the belly of the Earth. My unaccustomed-to-any-bumps-on-the-earth-Nebraskan self almost felt like it was Lidenbrock in Verne's A Journey to the Center of the Earth. Maybe the experience was a little less dramatic than that, but nevertheless, I indulge the imagination. ;) 

      Our guide told us about the different names of the stalactites and stalagmites, which form over the span of hundreds of years. As in, about 1 centimeter per 100 years! That in mind, take a peek at the photos of some colossal cave artistry. For example, the left photo displays chandelier stalagmites, which are fairly obviously named. Actually, this stalagmite formation is considered the most notable and unique of all, and is the reason the caves were dubbed Las Cuevas de Canelobre. They were probably my favorite type of stalagmite/tite, because they're very obviously rock, but I can so easily envision them as teetering, glistening, yellow candles, which appear ever on the verge of collapsing under the incommodious burden of their own accumulated wax buildup.  


Now, the photo below displays a giant stalagmite, which is named after a certain sea creature. Try and guess what its name is by looking closely! If your rock perception fails you, I will put the name at the end of this post. I can't make it TOO easy for you. ;)

This photo displays a beautiful accumulation of rock crystal, which if I understood correctly is built up over time by the chemicals in the water.

      Though the cave itself is amazing, its rugged, natural glory is enhanced by skillful lighting techniques throughout, which give it a mysterious, enchanting aura. As they wander up, down, and around on a narrow, winding pathway, tourists can gaze up at giant rock formations looming over their heads, illuminated with an almost eery beauty by the multicolored lighting throughout.

      Well, that is about it for the Caves of Canelobre. If you've made it this far, you deserve a reward! Consequently, I'll tell you the name of the stalagmite, which looks like a sea creature: El Tiburone. If you don't speak Spanish, I'm sorry, I must insist on tormenting you by forcing you to look up the definition of the word. Again, no apologies, here.
      As I conclude this post, I am a little under an hour away from leaving Alicante! After the plane ride, during which I hope to thoroughly process all that has occurred and analyze my emotions about leaving, I will certainly write a final post on this blog. It's strange to think that this blog will end! I've really enjoyed watching it grow. Perhaps I should take up the hobby. :) Regarding leaving, however, I know I'm excited to see my family, friends from home, and to go to my own church again, but I also feel a dull, aching sadness that this wonderful adventure need come to a close. I suppose it would be better to view it optimistically, though, so instead I will remember and continue to recall to mind how very blessed I was to study in this beautiful country and cherish all of the fond memories I made in a wonderful culture, brimming with wonderful people, whom I will never, ever forget.

Bendiciones,

Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment