SB

SB

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Gazing Behind and Leaping Ahead: June-ward and Forward

Dear readers,

     My post yesterday was solely related to Las Hogueras, but I think it's important to share a bit more about my month here in Spain. Why? Because I am simply in shock that it is already over and that my time here is over half completed. This realization, besides once more overwhelming me with gratitude for the blessing it is to be here, calls for reflection on what I have experienced and learned thus far.
     My first week in Spain, I met a wonderful group of people, visited the enchanting castle of Santa Barbara as well as the lovely city of Valencia, and experienced the cool embrace of the Mediterranean for the first time. Week two, I enjoyed a traditional Spanish culinary class and visited Barcelona. The third week, I experienced the crazy excitement that is Las Hogueras. The final week in June was dedicated to preparing for final exams. 
      Now, all of these activities were so exciting and wonderful to experience, but I have discovered something about Spain that I never supposed I would. Perhaps this discovery does not just relate to Spain, but to every place where people and cultures are. I have found that what makes Spain special, unique, and cherished forever in my heart is the small things. Waking up to a hearty "¡Buenos dias, cariño!" from my madre, enjoying tapas, crêpes, or coffee at quaint little cafeterías with friends, meeting random strangers on the street and surprising--even delighting them by being able to speak Spanish to them, and falling asleep to the gentle lapping of the ocean against the sandy face of the earth is what makes this place so dear to me. Sure, it's exciting to visit new places and travel, but what I will remember the most are the little things, which are ingrained into the people and culture. 
    Since we've broached the subject of little things, my friend and I experienced just that this Friday at a secluded little beach nestled in north-eastern Alicante. Always on the hunt for adventure, we set out to explore a new beach and discovered a truly enchanting little paradise. Though sparsely populated with beach-goers, the little inlet we discovered was literally pulsing with marine life! Without even trying, we found snails of all sorts, crab families (colonies?), and a gorgeous red sea anemone that really stumped me for awhile. I kept trying to pick it up to figure out what it was, but every time I did, it squirted me with some sticky residue! Although it may not seem flashy or adventurous, that afternoon in our secret beach was one of my favorites. We simply enjoyed being in the beauty that is nature unharnessed. Here are a few pictures of the marine life I saw: 
If I researched correctly, the red sea anemone is called an "actinia equina," and is commonly known as a beadlet anemone. Yes, it is sitting on the crab. Or the crab is burrowing under it. Whichever you prefer.


These are pictures and videos of our crab friend eating! I just thought it was amazing to watch so of course you would too! ;) 

      Crabs and critters aside, I suppose if I had to encapsulate all of my learning and experiences here in Spain thus far, I would say that I have learned to take time to enjoy the small and simple even more. Though I don't think of it now, I really will miss the conversations with my madre in Spanish when I'm gone, I really will miss the cafeterías with their miniscule cups of frothy espresso, I really will miss hearing rapid Spanish everywhere I go, and I really will miss the slow, leisurely way of life here in Spain. Spaniards do not hurry for anyone (which is why meals often take around two hours at a restaurant). So, like the natives of this country, I will endeavor to slowly savor each minute and make the most of every opportunity during this month I have remaining. 

Blessings,

Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment